Saturday, January 29, 2011

Cannoli's and snow

61 in Denver.  Whatever!
I got the urge late this morning to do my 16 mile run today vs tomorrow.  Glad I did!  Perhaps some internal barometer told me to.  Guess I should finally find a weather channel around here.  I have also been debating buying tickets to the ballet in Milan for tomorrow.  That would have sucked.  Tickets are not cheap.  It would have been like Norwegian bumper cars on the autobahn, oops, I mean autostrada. I mean come on, this car has at LEAST two to three inch wide tires.  Cross country ski's strapped to this battery powered baby would have more control.  I'm staying put tomorrow....and icing my shins....and building a fire...and eating cannoli's.  Is anyone watching the Pro Bowl? 

Yes, I finally made the cannoli’s after finding what I needed.  Good recipe! http://www.academiabarilla.com/recipes/cannoli.aspx   The singular is cannolo, means "little tube"  (I guess I should just say cannoli vs being redundant and adding the 's....btw, panini is plural, panino is one and the Italians pronounce Bruchetta with a k in the middle...che=k like spanish...end tangent).  Couldn't find sheep's milk ricotta and I needed a thickening agent for the stuff I got.  The shells puffed up quite a bit, needed to be much thinner, dangerously thin.  And now I know why the cannoli's in pictures have the cocoa covering the inner shell rather than in the mix.  Not quite as appetizing looking otherwise.  Candied orange peel or flavoring is key to the recipe.  Once you find tubes you can fry and a pastry bag you're set.

I’ll make the custard tort and tiramisu soon but I need to finish the cheesecake and cannoli  first.  Me and my belly miss the people at work who would eat this all up.
Ciao, I miss you all!!!


Lunch:)








3 comments:

  1. Looks like you're becoming an even better cook. It's been closer to high 60's today. Lodo's had their upper deck open for lunch.....Stay warm tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually nicely hot on my 16 mile run. Don't mean to rub it in. The high will be 2 here in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks fantastic! Perhaps a redux upon your return?

    ReplyDelete