Thursday, January 13, 2011

Lasagna (-e)

How did I waste an entire morning?  I don’t know, but I did at least get out for a long run.  By the time I got back and ready to go to the store it was 2:00.  Great.  The exact time stores are closed for their…well…lunch I guess.  They don’t like it when we call it a siesta but they will close their shops to go home to have lunch with their families.  As far as I can tell, the hours are between 1 and 3.  I’ll have to confirm that though.  Luckily the grocery store I wanted to go to was open.

Is your perception that everything here is more expensive?  Get a load of my grocery receipt. Hazelnuts/Nocciole were $2.30.  How much would you pay for a bag of nuts at the grocery store?  Noodles/Sfoglia per lasagna was about $1.  A liter of milk/latte was $1.50 so a gallon would be about $5 but who wants to drink milk anyway.  I’d like to point out the Cab Sav that I bought was a 1.5 liter, so 2x the size of a normal bottle.  Don’t get me wrong, it’s no Barolo, but comparable to what I’d buy back home. The grocery bag/borsa was almost the most expensive item next to my Edamer block of cheese (mmmm). Oh, and eggs come in cartons of 10.

Dinner – Did you know that lasagna is traditionally made with Bechamel sauce (roux or milk, butter and flour).  I have NEVER made lasagna with a Bechamel sauce.  From now on I will ALWAYS make Lasagna with a Bechamel sauce.  So now, for less than $22, I have dinner for a week (or maybe a couple days at this rate).


Note on spelling: Americans spell it Lasagna, Italians spell it Lasagne.  Ciao!

Can we REALLY not make noodles to match the pan size.  At least I can tear this stuff.
Pay no attention to how much I ate.
Don't  j u d g e  me
Random tangent of the day.  Get a load of this place!

3 comments:

  1. I'm laughing... "pay no attention to how much I ate" - you are a riot. That's a Fischer-sized portion right there, girlie! Okay - first off, YUM! That looks amazing. What is the carton of besciamella? Wait, don't answer that. I'll just look up beschamel sauce and I'll assume that carton is some of that. PLEASE tell me the cannoli are as good as they look - after a few disappointing ones in the states, I'd given up on them. Hmmm... what's new here? Glad you asked - Ellie's been throwing up for 18 hours and we're just hoping the rest of us don't get it... it's colder than snot, but a beautiful sunny day. Arrivaderci, dolce donna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as you run and work out, you can eat as much lasagna and cannolis as you want...

    ReplyDelete