Friday, January 7, 2011

Day one

I succeeded in procuring a few groceries, but not before starving half the morning after a run.  And what a run!  Picture the "half-lane-road" from last night with the switchbacks; only, in a morning fog dampened by the smell of wood fires blanketing bend after bend of vineyards.  Then add a decent of 550 feet followed by an ascent the same amount.  I stopped to walk when my hear rate hit 191.  I was so excited to hit a flat road I passed the house on the way back.  Ran into a pleasant Italian man walking his chickens across the road.  Contrary to the picture your brain may have constructed, he did not have a walking stick in hand.  Observations:  #1. Only post trucks were driving about.  #2. Men in uniform were tending to the dormant vines on several vineyards.  #3. All homeowners have dogs that bark and they just LOVE me.    

Exploration of the Day: The Grocery Store – Note to self: Use plastic glove when selecting your own produce, weigh it yourself then print a sticker on it with the price.  Also, "Voglio pagare con la carta di credito", I would like to pay with a credit card, is understood.  Only make sure that credit card works.  Geesh.

Word of the Day: Veloce: Fast - As in, every car on the road is faster than me.  They must wear out clutches and brakes quite often.  Seriously!  45 MPH around those corners is NOT normal.  Get off my tail pipe.  One handed driving around hairpin turns in a manual car is a must need skill out here.  Defensive driving - strongly recommended.

La Tana Villa - Casa di Minette

Sleepy Hollow?

Tiny car, tiny door

Grande casa, piccola macchina

Molto Bello!

3 comments:

  1. Love reading about your daily adventures - and you write in such picturesque phrases. I'm so glad they all LOVE you....but then, what's not to love....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still trying to picture a man walking his chickens across the road... why were the chickens crossing the road?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sarcasm must have been too subtle. I hate barking dogs but they kept following me.

    ReplyDelete