Saturday, January 8, 2011

Cash and Heat

Ok, I wasn’t going to post this because it was not with a happy spirit but what the hay.  It’s 1 in the morning, I can’t get the temperature up and I’m supposed to run 13 miles in the morning.  I’m just not happy.

I finally got cash after the 3rd try in one day, maybe because I was asking to get too much out at once (trying to avoid bank fees, but it turns out US bank had a good exchange rate and no fees so far.  To elaborate on this tangent, Capital One boasts no exchange fees, but we'll see how their exchange rates are when some charges go through tomorrow).  I finally found an ATM in Santo Stephano Belbo Piazza that worked.  Thank goodness because I spent two days on the 10 Euros ($13) I happen to bring with me from the last trip to Europe.  Apparently I still have some British Pounds mixed in with them.  Oops.  Turns out they know the difference, even if I don’t. 

Spent most of the day trying to get the main floor above 55 degrees via the thermostat or a fire in the fireplace.  Finally found a lighter in town at the tabbaci shop (not the grocery store) and went through two magazines in the fireplace without success.  How can a self-sufficient 32 year-old not be able to light a fire?  Would have helped to have smaller wood pieces, oh and newspaper rather than a magazine.  How do I buy wood?  I saw a neighbor with a truck full of it and was envious.  I might approach him tomorrow and ask, “Posso comprare tuo legno” (don’t quote me on this, I may be asking if I could purchase his slow).   

I also met Fuxia and Lorenzo at the bar/coffee shop (Minette’s friends).  Turns out I can’t hold a conversation.  Maybe I’ll go there tomorrow with my laptop under the pretense of studying and try again.  With some time and their patience maybe I can make small talk.

Tomorrow’s projects - Getting hot water from the kitchen sink, opening the pad-locked garage to get to the washer and getting the temperature above 55 degrees (13 degrees Celcius).  Two of these problems may be related.  Any guesses?
Studying

Dangerous driving during the day
You have no idea what I went through to make this.


Really?

5 comments:

  1. Think of it as character-building... not that you need it, though...
    oxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless your heart - Not fun being cold, hungry and frustrated. Even when you're not of happy spirit, your writing and adventures are most engaging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll look back and laugh at this soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No matter how bad it may feel/be, you are in Italy and in a matter of a few days, maybe a week, this will be a memory that you will laugh at...at some point at least.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like what Rebekah said - eventually, this will be funny. Lighting fires is deceptively difficult. Ask Nick. Hang in there. It will get easier. And I only ran 10 this morning so if you don't get to 13, don't worry about it :)

    ReplyDelete