Monday, January 10, 2011

Food and Wine

Tonight, I am drinking a Bordeaux.  That’s right, I’m drinking a French wine in the land of the King of Italian wines (Barolo).  I am celebrating the temperature reaching 16 degrees Celsius (60.8 Fahrenheit).  The guy came today in the rain to fix the heater.  E rotta (it was broken)…. and frozen (see picture) but more importantly, not my fault.  I was able to use the one phrase I know during the transaction so he went on his merry way.  After running inside to jump for joy I left my heating casa for the Lidl in the next town over to buy something to cook for dinner.

So it turns out you need a Euro to use a shopping cart.  All of the carts are chained together outside and you put a Euro in the handle, slide it in like a bouncy ball or fake tattoo machine, and it unlocks from the next cart.  I’M the only one buying groceries for more than for 1 day.  There is an entire isle dedicated to Parmesan and Grana Padano (parmesans better melting counterpart).  God love Italians.  Cases of pasta a head shorter than me lined another isle  b u t   I still haven’t found kindling for a fire.  They have turkey meat sliced like chicken filets and more frozen and canned fish than would ever be healthy to consume.  On that note, did you see the price of the wine?  My operating budget is just cut in half!     

Check out process: Ok guys, this is like the self-check out lanes where you scan and pack your own bags. Only the girl scans them.  The problem is I’m still putting items on the belt.  So she leaves and comes back when I’m done. 

Really?

Customer service -1 for Italy.  Oh, and apparently Visa is everywhere YOU want to be, not me.  +1 for Mastercard.

Dinner tonight.  Gnocchi with Gorgonzola sauce.  Last night, fried turkey fillets with risotto (made with broth from bullion cubes and tons of Grana Padano).  First night, chicken picatta and caprese salad for lunch (with Buffalo Mozzarella which I’ve never found in an American grocery store).  Any suggestions for my next dinner?
Lhahhhh!   Do you see the figurative cherubs?


frozen pipes
kindling - if you get this joke, you get me.


1 comment:

  1. Things are looking up! And yes, you should be a writer... Wishing I could be where you are, right now... Henry just slammed the bedroom door and locked us all on the outside. Is noon too early to start drinking wine? You're my only friend who would say no. For that reason [and a few others] I miss you so! So, friend, I'm picturing you in front of that fire, with your feet up on the coffee table, sipping your Bordeaux and feasting on your gorgonzola gnocchi. No fresh tomatoes, eh? Otherwise, I'd suggest you master a simple red sauce. I'd say something with seafodd - linguini with a white wine clam sauce? Cavatappi with capers or black olives and some fresh romano? Mmmm... I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete