Friday, January 21, 2011

French Nougat and Calissons

I totally burnt spaghetti last night.  Ooops.  I’m really not as dumb as you think. The flames from the gas stove were surrounding the pan and the ends sticking over the top got a little crispy, well more like singed, alright burnt.  I’m sure that’s some sort of blasphemy.  Will they kick me out?

Ok, I need input from you guys on a couple things today. 

France - Monday
The last time I ventured to this part of the world I went on a tour of a Nougaterie in Montelimar, France (insert accent over letters at will).  They had not only great nougat, but these little diamond shaped pieces of heaven called calissons made from candied melon and orange peel with almond icing.  Mmmm.  In the 17th century some thought that eating a calisson every day would keep the plague away (insert your snide comment about the French here).  http://www.suprem-nougat.fr/.  I’ve tried to find these gems on amazon.com, and they have them…sometimes…but are overpriced and shipping to the states is about as much as they are.  So, I go to the source.  Monday.

Here’s what I need input on.  I can go to Montelimar through the Swiss Alps or to Aix-en-Provence along the coast through Monaco, Nice and Marseille.  Both cities are 5 hours away.  Both cities have calissons and nougat, though Montelimar is more famous for nougat and Aix-en-Provence for calissons.  Anyone have a preference for pictures they want to see along the way?
  A. Alps
  B. Coast

Dessert – Saturday
While I’m on this sugar kick, I’ve decided tomorrow project is going to make a dessert.  So the second thing I need your vote on:
  1. Tiramisu
  2. Cannoli
  3. Panna Cotta
  4. Ricotta Cheesecake
  5. Torta della Nonna – custard pie with pine nuts and almonds


Have a fabulous weekend all!

  
http://www.suprem-nougat.fr/nougat-montelimar/fabrication-calisson.html

http://www.france-epicurien.com/





4 comments:

  1. ALPS ALPS ALPS! :)
    Maybe enjoy some cheesecake. I'll just call the whole thing living vicariously through you.
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Late to this discussion as I am, my input may be pointless . . . I vote for Aix and cannoli. I'd pay big money for even one calisson. Enjoy KK.

    ReplyDelete